DCSIMG

Man set to be re-tried for World’s End murders

Christine Eadie and Helen Scott were murdered in 1977 Picture: PA

Christine Eadie and Helen Scott were murdered in 1977 Picture: PA

  • by HILARY DUNCANSON
 

A MAN cleared of murdering two teenagers in the 1970s is to be re-tried, prosecutors have confirmed. Angus Sinclair was today indicted for the murders of 17-year-olds Christine Eadie and Helen Scott in 1977, the Crown Office said.

The development follows a recent ruling by judges which meant that Sinclair could stand trial again.

The two girls were last seen leaving the World’s End bar in Edinburgh.

Sinclair stood trial in 2007 accused of their murders and was acquitted of the charges, which he had denied.

Earlier this year, the Crown was granted the authority under double jeopardy legislation to bring a new prosecution against Sinclair.

A preliminary hearing in the case is expected to be held at the High Court in Edinburgh on June 26.

In a statement, the Crown Office said: “Angus Sinclair was today indicted for the murders of Christine Eadie and Helen Scott in 1977.

“This follows the successful application on March 27 2014 to the High Court by the Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland QC, in terms of the Double Jeopardy (Scotland) Act 2011 to set aside previous acquittals and granting authority to the Crown to have Angus Sinclair re-tried for the murders.

“The case will first call as a preliminary hearing at the High Court, Lawnmarket, Edinburgh, on 26 June 2014.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page