Man rescued after snake tank fire

Share this article
0
Have your say

A Borders man has been taken to hospital after a fire started in a pet reptile’s tank.

Fire crews were called to a semi-detached house in South Hermitage Street in Newcastleton in the Scottish Borders at 1.10am.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the blaze, which is understood to have started in a snake tank due to a “suspected electrical fault”, spread to the kitchen.

Two men, aged 23 and 53, suffered smoke inhalation and the older man, who also had chest pains, was taken to hospital in Carlisle by ambulance.

There was fire and smoke damage to the kitchen area of the one storey property and smoke damage through the rest of the house.