Man murdered by neighbour just hours after meeting

Craig Stewart was stabbed in the heart. Picture: Contributed

Craig Stewart was stabbed in the heart. Picture: Contributed

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN was stabbed in the heart by his next door ­neighbour just hours after meeting him for the first time and inviting him into his home to play cards.

Tragic Craig Stewart was attacked by 47-year-old Harvey Frost moments after the killer had hugged him and said, “love you man”.

Harvey Frost killed Craig hours after meeting him for the first time. Picture: Police Scotland

Harvey Frost killed Craig hours after meeting him for the first time. Picture: Police Scotland

Mr Stewart, 24, died in ­hospital eight days after the knife attack in Magdalene Drive on February 10, when his parents made the heartbreaking decision to turn off his ­life-support machine.

Frost now faces a life ­sentence after appearing at the High Court in Edinburgh ­yesterday and admitting the murder of Mr Stewart.

Following the guilty plea, the victim’s uncle, Paul Kernachan, 46, said that his nephew was “the kind of guy to invite a new neighbour in” and that his “friendliness” had resulted in a “senseless” death.

Advocate depute Douglas Fairley QC told the court that Mr Stewart had been ­having a drink with flatmates Dean Robertson and Lauren Andrews, and later went ­outside to get some air.

When he returned, Mr ­Stewart brought Frost into the flat, introducing him by saying: “This is my neighbour. I’ve just met him.”

All four of them played cards, including a game called Scabby Queen.

Mr Fairley said: “At one point, the game involved Andrews being struck on her knuckles as a forfeit. The accused stated that he didn’t like violence and accordingly did not want to play the game.”

Frost later left for home and Mr Stewart and Mr Robertson helped him as he seemed unsteady. Frost invited them in and Ms Andrews joined them.

The advocate depute said at one stage Frost stood up and began repeating the words of a song playing on television.

He added: “The accused hugged the deceased and said ‘love you man’ and the deceased hugged him back and repeated this.”

After the song ended Frost went into the kitchen. Returning expressionless but holding a knife, he walked over to Mr Stewart and stabbed him.

Frost, an HGV driver, later told detectives: “I don’t know what’s came over me.”

Mr Stewart’s uncle, Paul Kernachan, said: “Craig’s family and friends have been devastated by the loss. I don’t think they’ll ever feel that they got justice because his death was so senseless.

“Craig was such a friendly guy. It’s the thing everyone remembers most about him. He was a friend to everyone and, in a terrible way, his friendliness got him killed.

“He’d be the kind of guy to invite in a new neighbour, talk to him and try to make him welcome. He always thought the best of everybody.”

Frost was examined by two psychiatrists but neither found evidence of diminished responsibility when he killed Stewart.

Judge Lord Jones deferred sentence until next month for reports.

Back to the top of the page