Man in hospital for three months after engagement party attack

0
Have your say

AN apprentice joiner spent three months in hospital and suffered brain damage after being attacked by a guest at his brother’s engagement party, a court has heard.

Anthony Smith spent six weeks in the Western General Hospital before undergoing further rehabilitation therapy to learn to walk. Adam Hendry, 28, is accused of punching Mr Smith, causing him to fall over and strike his head on the road to the danger of his life.

Mr Smith’s father, Gordon Smith, described the alleged attack on the first day of Hendry’s trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday.

The 52-year-old told the jury that family and friends had gathered at the Southhouse Walk home of his other son, 27-year-old Christopher, for an engagement party.

Mr Smith, of Ferniehill, said that Hendry had been a guest at the party, which was attended by around 30 people.

After speaking to Hendry earlier in the evening, Mr Smith said that the accused later began kicking the front door of the house.

Mr Smith said: “I went outside and Adam Hendry was standing next to my son’s van at the gate. He was standing on his toes with his hands up like a boxer. He seemed crazy, like a man possessed. Then he lunged like a rocket at my son”.

Hendry, of Polton Drive in Lasswade, Midlothian, is accused of punching Christopher Smith in the head to his injury and permanent disfigurement. Mr Smith said that son Anthony then came out into the garden shortly after midnight on August 21, 2011, and was punched by Hendry. He added: “I heard the crack as his head hit the ground. It sounded like a coconut cracking.”

Hendry ran from the scene following the alleged attack.

Mr Smith said that his son seemed quiet and unwell the next day and he later took him to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

He was transferred to the Western General and underwent surgery the following day. He spent six weeks in hospital before recuperating at the Astley Ainslie Hospital until the end of November.

Mr Smith said: “He was not the same Anthony. He’s not been able to go back to work and he still attends hospital. Sometimes it’s like talking to a seven-year-old, and his memory has also been affected.”

Hendry denies all the charges and has lodged a special defence that he was acting in self-defence after being attacked by Christopher and Anthony Smith.

The trial before Sheriff Isobel McColl continues.

amcewen@edinburghnews.com

Back to the top of the page