Laptop catches fire while charging

Laptop owners have been warned not to leave their devices on charge after a computer caught fire in a house in Falkirk. Picture: Getty

Laptop owners have been warned not to leave their devices on charge after a computer caught fire in a house in Falkirk. Picture: Getty

Share this article
3
Have your say

THE fire service is warning people not to leave laptops charging when they go out after a computer caught fire while it was charging.

Firefighters found a “well-developed” blaze in a bedroom when they arrived on the scene in Gairdock Drive, Falkirk, yesterday lunchtime.

Three fire crews extinguished the blaze.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service urged people not to leave laptops charging unattended.

Watch manager Mike Fitches said: “The fire was caused by an overheated laptop which had been left charging.

CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN

Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning

• You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google +

“The fire has caused extensive damage to the bedroom and some damage to the first floor. Thankfully no-one was at home at the time of the fire and we were alerted by workmen who were outside another house in the area.

“This incident had the potential to be even more serious and we can’t stress enough how important it is to unplug any chargers before you go out.

“We would also urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm inside their property. We provide free home fire safety visits, including the fitting of smoke alarms where required.”

SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS

• Download your free 30-day trial for our iPad, Android and Kindle apps

Keep up to date with all aspects of Scottish life with The Scotsman iPhone app, completely free to download and use

Back to the top of the page