Winnie Mandela ‘shocked’ charges being considered
NELSON Mandela’s former wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, said she was shocked and surprised prosecutors are considering charges after the exhumation of bodies believed to belong to two young activists last seen at her home 24 years ago.
She said in a statement that it is “difficult to legally imagine” what new evidence could be contemplated, given the diverse accounts presented more than ten years ago to South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC).
Forensic scientists last week exhumed two bodies with multiple stab wounds believed to belong to Lolo Sono and Siboniso Shabala.
Ms Madikizela-Mandela’s bodyguard told the TRC she ordered him to kill the two young men, whom she accused of being spies for the apartheid regime.
The TRC found no evidence of that order, but said Ms Madikizela-Mandela must be responsible for their disappearances.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South