MP calls for liquid nitrogen ban after cocktail horror
A CONSERVATIVE MP has called for a ban on liquid nitrogen being used as an ingredient in drinks after a teenager who downed a cocktail laced with the substance had to have her stomach removed.
David Morris told the Commons yesterday that the issue came to his attention as a result of “serious injuries” sustained by one of his constituents.
Gaby Scanlon, from Heysham, Lancashire, was celebrating her 18th birthday in a bar in Lancaster in October when she drank two Nitro Jagermeister cocktails costing £8.95. The substance caused her stomach to rupture “leaving her in the sort of agony that is hard to imagine”, he said.
Clinicians at Royal Lancaster Infirmary took the decision to remove her stomach.
The MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale said: “This is the only case of serious injury that has been reported in the media across the world, and to think it happened here in the UK is shocking.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 3 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west