Asthma risk from drying laundry, study finds
Drying laundry inside the home has been found to cause asthma in some people, a study has found.
Research carried out by the Mackintosh Environmental Architecture Research Unit at the Glasgow School of Art also found drying in the home can create economic problems.
Hanging washing on airers and radiators is common practice and is responsible for one third of moisture in the home. The experts say these conditions encourage mould spores and dust mites, which can cause asthma.
Professor Colin Porteous, of the unit, said: “Increased awareness of the energy consumption of tumble dryers has led to many people choosing to dry clothes within their home.
“This results not only in a severe energy penalty, because of increased heating demand, but also a potential health risk due to higher moisture levels.
The trend for airtight construction and smaller homes contributes towards moisture build-up, the study said.
The study suggested separate drying spaces should be included in building design, whether they be communal or as part of individual properties, while a short-term solution would be to improve ventilation.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 25 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 7 mph
Wind direction: North east