Granton college tuna poisoned sent home from hospital

Have your say

SEVEN students and two staff members who were hospitalised after eating spoiled tuna at Edinburgh College’s Granton campus have been discharged.

The nine were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with suspected scombroid food ­poisoning after falling violently ill on Thursday afternoon. Doctors said the victims were kept in for observation but were released later with no complications. College and environmental health bosses said a sample of tuna used to make the sandwiches had been taken away for tests, with results expected by early next week. It is understood that the college’s fish supplier has been changed.Student leaders today praised the action of college staff in managing the outbreak.

John Martin, president of the Edinburgh College Students’ Association, said: “We will continue to work with the college to ensure that students’ safety is paramount.”

Back to the top of the page