The attempted abduction of a 10-year-old boy from a city street is an “isolated incident”, police said as they continue the hunt for the suspect.
The schoolboy was walking in Kenmure Street in the Pollokshields area of Glasgow at around 3.10pm on Wednesday when he was approached by a man who pulled him from the street to the back court of nearby flats.
He managed to break free and run home, at which point the police were called.
Officers have countered local rumours that the boy was assaulted during the incident, but have said that he was very upset by what happened.
The suspect may be south-east Asian in appearance, 5ft 4in to 5ft 6in in height and aged 30-35. He was unshaven and wearing dark jogging bottoms, a hooded top and a baseball cap.
Chief Inspector Hazel Knight, the local area commander, said: “We are aware of a number of rumours locally that the boy had been assaulted. This is not the case. Thankfully he was not injured, however, it was very upsetting for him.
“Specially trained officers are working with him and his family to get as much information as possible and we must stress that this is an isolated incident.”
Officers want to trace a man who helped the boy and confronted the suspect.
Ms Knight said: “We are very keen to trace the man and child that the boy said he ran to get help from following the incident, and who challenged the suspect. This man is described as in his 40s, with blond hair and was wearing bright yellow shorts and a red and white jacket.
“He was with a young child who was wearing the school uniform of a local primary school. If you are that man, please come forward as you may be able help officers with their inquiries.
“Local primary schools have been visited by officers and letters with advice and guidance have been given to parents and staff.”
Police have put extra officers in the area to try to reassure the public. They have asked anyone with information about the incident to contact them.