THE News of the World phone hacking scandal has led to two police inquiries and two judicial inquiries.
Operation Weeting was established by the Met's Specialist Crime Directorate on 26 January to probe numerous allegations of phone hacking.
The investigation is being led by Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers and there are reportedly 45 officers working on the case.
Among the evidence seized by officers is 11,000 pages of notes kept by Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator jailed for hacking mobile phones for the News of the World. Other evidence has led to the arrests of chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and news executive Ian Edmondson.
Documents handed to the Met in the course of the operation have led to the setting up of a second investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to police officers.
Operation Elveden was set up after News International handed over documents in June that suggested bribes had been paid to officers.
Reports suggest up to 100,000 may have been paid to police officers by the News of the World in exchange for inside information for articles.
Sir Paul Stephenson, Metropolitan Police Commissioner, said Operation Elveden will be "thorough and robust".
The first of two judicial inquiries will be led by a senior judge and look into the police investigation of the News of the World in 2006. It will examine and consider why evidence of widespread illegal practice at the Sunday tabloid was apparently ignored and prosecutions were only brought against former royal correspondent Clive Goodman and investigator Glenn Mulcaire.
The inquiry, as with Operation Elveden, will also look into allegations that Metropolitan Police officers took payments from the News of the World.
Prime Minister David Cameron said no officers involved in the original investigation are involved in current police inquiries into the newspaper.
The second, wider-ranging inquiry will look into media ethics and the regulation of the British press.