Expert recommends: Best use of Xmas leftovers
PLANNING your meals is a great way to make sure you buy only what you need. Remember to plan in a day or two for leftovers – especially on Boxing Day! There are plenty of delicious meal ideas which make the most of those seasonal ingredients without wasting anything.
1. GRAVADLAX SALMON ON FRESH CRUSTY TOAST: Give the traditional Scandinavian recipe of marinated raw salmon served with a mustard and dill sauce a modern twist with fresh ginger and lemongrass added to the marinade. Be sure to use really fresh salmon, as it needs to be marinated for two days. Serve as a starter with wholemeal or rye bread, or a mid-evening snack.
2. GOOSE RISOTTO: At home we have goose on Christmas Day rather than turkey. Leftover goose – in fact, any leftovers of shellfish or poultry – is perfect fried up with mushrooms, risotto rice, cream, paprika, white wine and saffron and served on a thick slice of garlic toast. It makes a refreshing change from turkey curry!
3. LOGANBERRY FRUIT SALAD: The loganberry is a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry. The fruit is dark red in colour and longer than a raspberry. It is juicier but sharper in flavour than raspberry, and if you have a bought a large bundle, they're an ideal accompaniment to a festive fruit salad.
4. BREAD SAUCE: When making bread sauce, boil the milk with an onion, bay leaf and clove. Then pour the milk on to the bread and whisk out to avoid any lumps. Use a touch of nutmeg, salt and pepper and butter. Extra sauce can be stored in the fridge and used after Christmas as the ideal accompaniment to meats.
5. ORANGE & PUMPKIN PUDDING: Most people have oranges left over after Christmas. I often make a warm orange pudding served with a pumpkin curd, red port sorbet and a hazelnut caramel. This dish makes the best use of the delicious flavours available.
• Tom Kitchin is an award-winning chef who runs The Kitchin in Leith.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west