POLICE in Moray have launched an investigation after a family’s pet dog had to have emergency surgery after swallowing sausages, deliberately filled with nails.
• A dog found with 10 nails in its stomach after eating sausages is being investigated by police, who are treating the matter as suspicious
• Sausages filled with nails were eaten by Maggie, a black Bernese mountain dog cross as police suspect deliberate attempt to harm dog
Vets found 10 nails in the stomach of the black Bernese mountain dog cross called Meggie after the family had rushed their pet to a local veterinary surgery in Elgin for treatment.
The nails are believed to have been deliberately concealed in cocktail sausages, placed in the garden of the family’s home in a deliberate attempt to harm the dog.
The dog’s owner, who did not wish to be identified, said: “We are shocked at the level some people go to.
“The sausages must have been planted overnight. There was a gardener in on Thursday trimming the grass so it must have been after that.”
Mike Flynn, the Scottish SPCA’s Chief Superintendent, said: “Thankfully incidents of this nature are rare, but nonetheless very concerning and we are relieved to hear Meggie is recovering from her ordeal.
“Causing an animal unnecessary suffering is an offence therefore we urge anyone with information about this matter to contact the police immediately.”
A spokesman for the Moray division of Police Scotland said that enquiries were continuing into the incident.
He added: “This is an extremely rare type of incident to occur, with a great deal of distress to both the dog and its owners.”
Anyone with information about the incident has been urged to contact police on 101, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.