Kennel Club claim Crufts dog ‘poisoned in Belgium’

Jagger the Irish setter died after competing at Crufts. Picture: AP
Jagger the Irish setter died after competing at Crufts. Picture: AP
Share this article
0
Have your say

A DOG which died after competing at Crufts appears to have been poisoned in Belgium, the show’s organisers said yesterday.

Irish setter Jagger died after the event in Birmingham earlier this month, having reportedly eaten poisoned food. According to a toxicology report, Jagger was fed a “fast-acting poison” shortly after his return to Belgium.

The dog was not poisoned at Crufts. Toxicologists believe he was fed a piece of poisoned beef, a spokeswoman said.

The Kennel Club’s Caroline Kisko said: “There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure dog-lovers that this could not have been possible and it is highly likely that the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef, were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger’s death.

“We have had confirmation, including from independent toxicologists, that the poisons identified in the toxicology report – carbofuran and aldicarb – are fast-acting. Severe clinical symptoms would usually occur within half an hour to three hours.” She added because of the timings it was “inconceivable” he was poisoned at Crufts.

FOLLOW US

Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Subscribe to our DAILY NEWSLETTER (requires registration)

SCOTSMAN TABLET AND MOBILE APPS

iPhone | iPad | Android | Kindle