THE Scottish SPCA has launched an investigation into claims that a dog was deliberately poisoned with a pesticide three times in less than a fortnight.
• Dog deliberately poisoned with pesticide three times in less than two weeks, it is alleged
• SPCA probe claims that dog was fed slug pellets, which are toxic to dogs
Scotland’s animal welfare charity was called in after the owner of the dog, who lives on a farm on the Isle of Bute, contacted the police.
SSPCA investigators believe the dog, which has survived, was deliberately poisoned with slug pellets.
A spokeswoman for the charity said today: “The SSPCA was alerted to the concerning incidents at Lower Ettrick Farm in Rothesay, Bute, after the owner contacted the Police. On all three occasions it was confirmed that the dog, a Jack Russell terrier cross named Dougie, had ingested slug pellets with the active ingredient of metaldehyde.”
Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn explained: “Metaldehyde is commonly used as a pesticide against slugs and snails, but it is toxic to dogs and cats and should be used with caution.
“If ingested, symptoms include tremors, drooling and restlessness, which can lead to seizures and death within hours or days if treatment is not sought quickly.
“We believe that someone may be deliberately targeting Dougie, which is extremely concerning. It’s possible the pellets have been hidden in food.”
He continued: ”Thankfully, on all three occasions Dougie’s owner has acted quickly, but he could easily have come to severe harm or even died.”
Chief Supt Flynn added: “Lines of enquiry have been followed but unfortunately we have been unable to identify the person responsible. We are now asking anyone with information to contact us as soon as possible. All calls are treated in strict confidence and can be made anonymously.”
The SSPCA spokeswoman said: “Causing an animal unnecessary suffering is an offence and anyone found guilty of doing so can expect to be banned from owning animals for a fixed period or life.”