DCSIMG

Man hurt after Edinburgh chemical lab accident

A man has been taken to hospital after a chemical incident at Edinburgh University's King's Buildings. Picture: Jon Savage

A man has been taken to hospital after a chemical incident at Edinburgh University's King's Buildings. Picture: Jon Savage

A student who had dangerous chemicals splashed in his face after an “eruption” during an experiment has received hospital treatment.

The man was working in a second-floor laboratory at The King’s Buildings, part of University of Edinburgh, with benzyl bromide when it reacted with water causing the liquid to erupt out of the beaker.

Twenty firefighters and seven appliances were called out to the scene to deal with the spillage.

The man was wearing goggles and a lab coat but was taken to hospital for treatment to his face.

A spokesman for university said: “A student poured benzyl bromide into a beaker which he thought was dry. As there was moisture in the beaker, the chemical reacted and splashed the student’s face.

“The student had followed all appropriate health and safety procedures and was wearing a lab coat and goggles. First aid was administered at the scene, and the student was then taken to hospital for treatment.

“No other staff or students were placed at risk.”

The King’s Buildings are the main campus for the university’s College of Science and Engineering and houses seven university schools.

A spokeswoman from the fire service said: “There was a mixture of chemicals which erupted and injured a man. He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary suffering from irritation to his face.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page