DCSIMG

Glasgow Caledonian students say No to independence

Glasgow Caledonian students voted to stay in the UK in a mock referendum. Picture: PA

Glasgow Caledonian students voted to stay in the UK in a mock referendum. Picture: PA

Scottish independence: Students from Glasgow Caledonian University have voted for Scotland to remain in the UK in a mock referendum.

The survey of more than 1,500 students found 63 per cent in favour of Scotland remaining in the UK against 37 per cent who supported independence.

The result follows similar votes at the University of Glasgow and Aberdeenshire schools’ mock referendums, and mirrors recent opinion polls which indicate support for independence remains below two-fifths.

Sogand Azimi, a student at Glasgow Caledonian University, said: “This is another encouraging result for the campaign to keep Scotland in the UK.

“It’s clear that more and more young people are rejecting Alex Salmond’s divisive campaign for separation.

“As part of the UK our young people benefit from the opportunities that come from being part of something bigger.

“The only thing putting this at risk is separation. The young people of Scotland know that we are stronger and better together.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

EDINBURGH
FESTIVALS
2014

#WOWFEST

In partnership with

Complete coverage of the festivals. Guides. Reviews. Listings. Offers

Let's Go!

No Thanks