FORMER Rangers chief Craig Whyte is set to appear in court this Thursday to explain his absence at the trial of his former housekeepers.
The 42-year-old businessman failed to appear at Inverness Sheriff Court earlier this month, despite having witness citations to give evidence at the trial of his former housekeepers, who are accused of stealing a number of items from Whyte’s Moray castle between June and September of last year.
Jane Hagan, 50, and Terence Horan, 53, both of Oxfordshire, deny the accusations. which was unable to proceed as a result.
It is understood that Mr Whyte’s lawyers have contacted the procurator fiscal to arrange for the 42-year-old to appear this week to explain his absence.
If the explanation is deemed unsatisfactory by the sheriff, Mr Whyte could be punished on the spot, or sentenced following the trial.
Sheriff Margaret Neilson was told by fiscal depute Kelly Mitchell at the court hearing on June 10th that all the witnesses had turned up for the trial, but that Mr Whyte’s ex-wife Kim had phoned the businessman who claimed he was in France, having been told he had been ‘countermanded’ as a witness, meaning his attendance was no longer required at court.
However, the Press and Journal report that Ms Mitchell told Sheriff Neilson that this referred to an earlier trial. Sheriff Neilson postponed the trial until September 12 and issued a warrant for Mr Whyte’s arrest.
Whyte was told in April to re-pay nearly £18 million, and £680,000 interest to Ticketus, over his takeover of Rangers.
The former Rangers chief bought the Ibrox club from Sir David Murray in 2011 for £1, but ultimately led them into administration 12 months later.
Read more on Craig Whyte