Cigarette end blamed for bin fire at Clutha pub

Firefighters tackled the blaze at the newly re-opened Clutha pub. Picture: John Devlin

Firefighters tackled the blaze at the newly re-opened Clutha pub. Picture: John Devlin

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have tackled a blaze at the Glasgow pub at the centre of a police helicopter crash which killed ten people.

The Clutha bar reopened in July, almost 20 months after the disaster in November 2013.

Three fire engines went to the pub when the alarm was raised at around 1:40am on Sunday. They were at the scene until 2:23am dealing with a small fire in a bin room.

The pub’s Facebook page said the damage was minor and it was open as usual yesterday.

Going to the Edinburgh Festival? Find out which shows to see on our dedicated site >>

It said: “Wee Fire at the Clutha – Nothing to worry about! A small fire broke out in one of the bins and caused a bit of smoke around the place. The Fire Service reacted very quickly and it was quickly under control.

“Wee bit of damage to a couple of doors but nothing more. They reckon it was caused by a fag end.”

The message went on: “Thanks to everyone for their concerns and thanks again to the Fire Service and please anyone who does smoke can you make sure your fag is extinguished before throwing away.”

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon joined relatives of the dead, survivors and members of the emergency services at the venue when it reopened on 24 July.

More than 100 people were in the bar on the night of 29 November 2013.

Back to the top of the page