DCSIMG

X Factor winner James Arthur to start work on album ‘as quickly as possible’

James Arthur was announced as the winner of this year's show. Picture: Getty

James Arthur was announced as the winner of this year's show. Picture: Getty

X FACTOR winner James Arthur is eager to release an album “as quickly as possible” and has already written some tracks.

• James Arthur’s single ‘Impossible’ is already number one in the iTunes chart

• Simon Cowell tweeted: “Congratulations James on winning X factor uk. You deserved this.”

• Changes are planned for the show after viewing figures fell to a seven-year low.

The singer-songwriter told ITV’s Daybreak: “I’m just going to work hard and get my album out as quickly as possible and not wait around.

“I’ve got a lot of material to go so now as soon as I get back into the studio I’ll be ready.”

Arthur, 24, sang the praises of fellow finalist Jahmene Douglas, 21, saying: “Jahmene I think is world-class. That guy is going to do phenomenally well off the back of this competition because he has had a chance to showcase just how amazing he is.”

Arthur, whose single Impossible is already number one in the iTunes chart, said: “It is starting to sink in, I was overwhelmed.

“That is why my reaction was so still. I couldn’t believe it. I actually thought (Dermot O’Leary) said Jahmene.”

He said he had not heard directly from Simon Cowell, but had seen his congratulatory comment on Twitter saying: “Congratulations James on winning X factor uk. You deserved this.”

The winner shed light on speculation surrounding semi-finalist Christopher Maloney’s absence from the final show, explaining: “I think he was a little bit unwell.”

Maloney supported this by tweeting: “thank u @TheXFactor had a wonderful Time. an amazing experience. love u all. sorry I had a sore throat an doctor signed me off. good luck x.”

He added: “take no notice of crap in papers! I’m fine. it’s just a final stretch of sensational headlines lol. whatever xx we know the truth xx.”

Arthur spoke of his experience of singing a duet with judge and former Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger.

He said: “It was phenomenal singing with my mentor. She is a mega-star and as an aspiring singer it was what you dream of.”

Show bosses are reported to be planning changes to the format after viewing figures fell to a seven-year low.

Saturday’s episode was watched by an average audience of 9.5 million - its worst showing since 2005 when 9.2 million watched Shayne Ward triumph - and trailed its BBC1 rival Strictly Come Dancing by 1.3 million viewers.

According to newspaper reports, the next series will start during the school term and the Saturday shows will be moved to earlier in the schedule in a bid to capture the imagination of young fans.

Bosses are also said to be planning to axe the arena auditions in favour of a more low-key approach.

A spokeswoman for the show said: “The series has only just ended but of course we’ll review the production, as we do with all our long-running shows. No details on next year’s show have been decided yet.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

EDINBURGH
FESTIVALS
2014

#WOWFEST

In partnership with

Complete coverage of the festivals. Guides. Reviews. Listings. Offers

Let's Go!

No Thanks