DAVID and Victoria Beckham are suing their former nanny for breach of confidence over allegations about the state of their marriage, a spokesman said yesterday.
The couple, who are together in Madrid, have decided to launch legal proceedings following claims by their former nanny in a newspaper that their six-year marriage was on the rocks.
They are also taking legal proceedings against the News of the World, which is already the subject of legal proceedings over the Rebecca Loos affair.
A spokesman said: "The Beckhams will be commencing legal proceedings against their former nanny, Abbie Gibson, for breach of confidence.
"They will also be applying to the courts to amend their outstanding action commenced last year against the News of the World to include all of these issues by way of seeking aggravated damages."
Sources close to the couple say they have been distressed by the allegations, which have surfaced soon after the birth of their third child. They say the couple feel betrayed by Ms Gibson, because she was in their home and looked after their children.
On Saturday night the Beckhams’ legal team failed in an attempt to get a High Court injunction against the 27-year-old nanny, claiming that she was in breach of a confidentiality contract stopping her talking about their private lives. However, the judge, Mr Justice Langley, ruled that the newspaper could publish her story.
Max Clifford, who represents Ms Gibson, said: "Abbie stands by everything she says."
The News of the World said the paper would "vigorously defend" any legal action.
A spokeswoman added: "We are surprised the Beckhams are seeking to expand their libel action against the News of the World to take account of our latest disclosures. The News of the World will vigorously defend any such action."