CCTV hope in hunt for Annie answers

THE family of a Swedish woman found dead on a Scottish beach hope new CCTV images of her final hours will hold vital clues to her death.

Guje Borjesson has been investigating the death of her daughter Annie since she was found washed up on Prestwick beach on December 4, 2005.

The 30-year-old had been working at the Scottish Whisky Heritage Centre on the Royal Mile and living at Linton Court Apartments in Murieston Road.

She is thought to have been making her way to Prestwick Airport for a flight home to Sweden when she died.

A postmortem examination determined she had drowned, and police concluded she had either taken her own life or died as the result of an accident.

But her mother has refused to accept the findings and is pressing the authorities to reopen the case.

After repeated pleas to the police and the Scottish Crown Office, she has recently been given three CCTV images taken the day before Annie’s body was recovered. In the images, taken at the airport, Annie can be seen walking through a tunnel to the car park.

She is wearing a red and white fleece top which was not found on the body, and it is believed to be an exclusive label that can only be bought in Sweden.

Mrs Borjesson, 54, and Annie’s best friend Maria Jansson, 40, are now hoping the pictures might encourage someone to come forward. They are also hoping to trace several people from Edinburgh who knew Annie, to see if they can help piece together what happened.

Among the questions they want answered are why Annie’s filofax, with details of her friends and colleagues, and her diary, were missing from her bag, and why she had a series of strange bruises on her body. They also want more information about how she ended up on the beach, including the release of more CCTV images.

Mrs Borjesson, who has had to give up her job in Sweden, said she would never give up searching for answers.

“I have not been able to grieve for my daughter properly,” she said. “If this had been done properly, and there had been a full investigation that answered all of these questions, I would probably have grieved. But until I know what happened to my daughter I cannot.”

A spokesman for the Crown Office said there was still no evidence that a crime had been committed, saying: “Any new information that is made available will be given consideration.

“Annie’s family have been kept informed of the situation and will continue to be informed of any developments.”

A website, www.annierock, has been set up to appeal for information, and the family are offering Annie’s beloved Harley Davidson motorcycle, worth 10,000, as a reward.

Back to the top of the page