Anthrax found in body of drug user

Share this article
0
Have your say

An injecting drug user who died earlier this week has tested positive for anthrax, health officials have said.

The middle-aged man died in Glasgow on Sunday. Contaminated heroin, or a contaminated cutting agent mixed with the drug, may have been responsible for his death, officials said.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said it was an isolated case in the city, and police are now investigating.

The death was confirmed by the health board’s public health protection unit (PHPU).

Public health consultant Dr Syed Ahmed said: “This is an isolated case in Glasgow. There have been other sporadic cases in the UK and Europe in recent months.

“I urge all drug-injecting heroin users to be extremely alert and to seek urgent medical advice if they experience an infection at the site of injection.”