And we thought that David winning silver was a shock!

GEORGE and Jill Florence thought the biggest drama of the week was behind them after son David scooped a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics.

But the Edinburgh couple had one shock yet to come when they were caught up in a lightning strike on the Great Wall of China.

The athlete's father George, 54, a British Airways pilot and former Scottish canoe champion himself, and his 52-year-old wife suffered cuts and bruises after diving for cover when a storm broke out during a sightseeing trip on Wednesday afternoon.

They, along with their other son Fraser and daughter Lyndsay, were taken to a Beijing clinic to be checked over by doctors.

Jill's mother, Sheila Ramage, who lives in Juniper Green, last night said she had not had a chance to speak with the family, but had received reassuring news from Beijing: "I had a message from another member of the family to say they are hurt, but it's nothing but cuts and bruises. They're absolutely fine."

Miriam Wilkens, a spokeswoman for Team GB, confirmed that the family had escaped serious injury, but said they were suffering from shock.

She said: "His parents, his sister and his brother were on the Great Wall sightseeing and it started raining.

"They took shelter in a tower on the wall which was then struck by lightning. There were no serious injuries but they have been taken to a clinic as a precautionary measure."

It is understood that British doctors at the nearby Olympic canoeing and rowing venue of Shunyi – where several events had to be postponed due to the weather – treated the family, who live in the West End.

David, 26, who was not with his family at the time of the incident, won a silver medal in the men's singles slalom event on Tuesday.

His friend and fellow member of Forth Canoe Club, Stewart Pitt, was also in Beijing to see his medal win, but returned home before the Great Wall trip. He revealed how much it had meant to the canoeist to have his family at the games for support – particularly his father, as an expert canoeist himself.

"George was very confident. He's pretty level-headed, and David is too, and his coach Mark Delaney had coached him very well. But David will always have a wee chat with his dad as well to give him a bit of extra reassurance."

He told how Mr Florence had been whisked away at the end of his medal-winning race for two-and-a-half hours of routine drug tests before being allowed back to the stands at dusk to pose for photographs with his family.

The former Stewart's Melville pupil later spoke of how his Olympic success had come following a rejection from the European Space Agency after he applied to become an astronaut.

David, now based in Nottingham, had been so keen to get in that he had lied about being able to speak Russian on his application.

The canoeist moved to the Capital from Aberdeen at the age of six and was initially a pupil at Roseburn Primary School.

He began canoeing on a family holiday in Cornwall and took part in his first competitive slalom event at the age of 14.

Back to the top of the page