DCSIMG

9am briefing: Suspect charged with Gary Deegan attack | man in court over alleged firefighter attack | John Leslie comeback

John Leslie with then-girlfriend Abi Titmuss in 2003. Picture: Getty

John Leslie with then-girlfriend Abi Titmuss in 2003. Picture: Getty

  • by *
 

A MAN has been charged in connection with an attack on Hibs star Gary Deegan in George Street during a night out with teammates.

The player needed surgery for a broken jaw.

Detectives had released a CCTV image of a man they wanted to trace in connection with an assault on October 7.

A police spokeswoman said a 27-year-old man would appear in court at a later date.

Man court over alleged firefighter attack

A man is expected to appear in court today in connection with an alleged attack on a city firefighter.

The driver of an appliance was taken to hospital after being attacked as he attempted to rescue a man from a kitchen blaze.

The crew member, who was the driver of the fire appliance, was attending a fire at high-rise flats in Linksview House, Tolbooth Wynd in Leith yesterday.

Police said a 55-year-old man had been charged in connection with an incident and was due in court today.

John Leslie to make radio comeback

DISGRACED television star John Leslie has told how returning to the Capital “pulled him through” as he prepares to return to the airwaves.

Leslie, whose career collapsed following allegations of rape and indecent assault, said he was eager to get back on air after a “traumatic” ten-year period.

The 47-year-old, who once presented Blue Peter, This Morning and Wheel of Fortune to millions of viewers, will have a much smaller audience when he begins his drivetime show on city station Castle FM this afternoon.

And in an effort to rebuild his career, Leslie, who earned £250,000 a year at ITV, is presenting the show for free.

Leslie faced two charges of indecently assaulting a woman in 1997, but the case was dropped by prosecutors at Southwark Crown Court in London in 2003.

The court case followed accusations – flatly denied by the TV star – of sexual misconduct from around 30 women and a claim – also denied – that he was the mystery TV presenter who raped Ulrika Jonsson early in her career.

Leslie, who has admitted drug-taking and treating women without respect in the past, said: “I’ve had a pretty traumatic last ten years – ten years in which I haven’t worked.

“But what pulled me through was being back in Edinburgh and having the support of family and friends.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news