Scotland trending: Today’s most talked-about stories

Transport Minister Derek Mackay. Picture: Steven Scott Taylor

Transport Minister Derek Mackay. Picture: Steven Scott Taylor

0
Have your say

Today’s top stories on social media from Scotland and beyond, including the reopening of the Forth Road Bridge and candlelit tributes to the victims of the Glasgow bin lorry crash one year on

Forth Road Bridge to reopen Wednesday

The Forth Road Bridge is set to reopen to all traffic except HGVs from tomorrow, it has been announced.

Officials said the installation of a steel splint to repair a crack on the structure has been completed ahead of schedule.

Transport minister Derek Mackay said: “Following rigorous testing and inspection of the temporary repair, experts have recommended the bridge is now ready to open to all traffic except HGVs.”

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/forth-road-bridge-to-reopen-wednesday-1-3982080

Darren Jackson: former Hibs, Celtic star declared bankrupt

Former Hibernian star Darren Jackson has been made bankrupt with debts of £270,000.

The former striker, who also played for Celtic and Dundee United, was declared insolvent after failing to settle large bills.

The majority of the cash is owed to the taxman and relates to investments made in a film production scheme.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/darren-jackson-former-hibs-celtic-star-declared-bankrupt-1-3982177

Hogmanay revellers face ban from Edinburgh landmark

Thousands of Hogmanay revellers are to be banned from gathering on one of Edinburgh’s main vantage points for the first time, organisers have announced.

Safety concerns have been blamed for a surprise decision to block off access to Calton Hill for six hours over the New Year festivities – 22 years after official celebrations were first staged.

The city council, which is sealing off the site from 7pm on Hogmanay, said it was concerned about growing numbers of revellers on the hill, which overlooks the main event on Princes Street.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/hogmanay-revellers-face-ban-from-edinburgh-landmark-1-3981815

Candles lit in memory of Glasgow bin lorry crash victims

Candles have been lit in memory of those who died in the Glasgow bin lorry crash, on the first anniversary of the tragedy.

A two-minute silence was also held at a special commemorative service in Glasgow Cathedral, attended by bereaved families, injured survivors, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and members of the emergency services who helped at the scene of the crash in Queen Street on December 22 last year.

Seven candles were lit - one for each of the six victims and a seventh for all those injured and affected by the crash.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/candles-lit-in-memory-of-glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-victims-1-3981987

Jeremy Vine reported to BBC for saying he had ‘man flu’

Broadcaster Jeremy Vine has been reported to the BBC for saying he had “man flu” on air. The Radio 2 presenter was cited under the broadcaster’s Equality and Diversity Code, a fact relayed by a clearly bemused Vine via Twitter.

He had been speaking to Dr Sarah Jarvis on his show about a mystery illness that he’d been suffering from.

A spokesperson for the BBC has said: “We have had one complaint from a member of the public but we wouldn’t give any further details of the content of complaint.”

Back to the top of the page