Highlights of the Celtic Connections festival 2013
What to look out for at the Celtic Connections festival 2013
• 20th Anniversary Concert, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 17 January: A star-studded night to start the 20th festival, with special appearances from Capercaillie, Flook, Sheena Wellington, Eddi Reader and Cara Dillon.
• Sabhal Mor Ostaig 40th Anniversary Concert, City Halls, 19 January: Former and present tutors and students – including Julie Fowlis, Alasdair Fraser, Fergie MacDonald, Daimh and Margaret Stewart – converge to celebrate 40 years of Skye’s famous Gaelic college.
• The Mavericks, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 22 January: Just months after reuniting for a tour, the American outfit, left, will grace the festival to coincide with the release of their first album for ten years.
• Cowboy Junkies and John Murray, Kelvingrove, 23 January: A quarter-century after their seminal Trinity Session album, the band bring their unique sound to the art gallery and museum
• Big Burns Night, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 25 January: Breabach, Blazin’ Fiddles, Dougie MacLean and Kathleen MacInnes take the stage for a raucous night in tribute to the Bard.
• Transatlantic Sessions, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 1 & 3 February: After a sell-out tour of UK and Ireland, the festival’s hot ticket will include Mary Chapin Carpenter, right, Eric Bibb, Aoife O’Donovan and Bruce Molsky.
• Old Crow Medicine Show, Barrowland Ballroom, 1 February: The big hoe-down looks to be in the East End as the Tennessee bluegrass and folk legends return to the legendary venue.
• The Gathering, Old Fruitmarket, 2 February: An all-Orcadian line-up featuring The Chair, Kristan Harvey, Kris Drever and a roll-call of characters, including “moothie legend” Billy Jolly.
• Glen Hansard and The Lost Brothers, Old Fruitmarket, 3 February. Glen Hansard will be showcasing his latest solo album.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 11 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 7 mph
Wind direction: North