DCSIMG

Edinburgh Video Guide: Old Calton Cemetery

Waiting for Video...
 

Old Calton Cemetery is located on Calton Hill, to the north-east of the city centre.

The burial ground was opened in 1718, and is the resting place of several notable Edinburgh people, including philosopher David Hume, publisher William Blackwood and clergyman Dr Robert Candlish. It is also the site of the Political Martyrs’ Monument, an obelisk erected to the memory of a number of political reformers. The burial ground was altered following the construction of Waterloo Place in 1819, which divided the graveyard into two sections.

• For more videos of Edinburgh’s historical landmarks visit Edinburgh Video Guide or follow then on Facebook and Twitter

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page