APPLE is known for upping the ante at every product launch, and rumours about the next generation of its smartphone - the iPhone 5 - have been circulating online for a couple of years.
But with a launch next month now seemingly inevitable - the latest date according to one leak is September 21 - and the production process surely at an advanced stage, the speculation is firming up into more than a geek’s wishlist.
Here we run through some of the headline rumours, ordered according to likelihood.
• The iPhone 5 will have a longer, slimmer design than the iPhone 4. Leaked images appear to show that the iPhone 5 will be more similar in dimensions to the Samsung Galaxy S3.
• It will have 4G LTE connectivity - the fourth generation of mobile communications standards. Everything Everywhere, the firm which owns T-Mobile and Orange, is due to roll out its 4G network in mid September. A coincidence?
• The new iPhone will run on a quad-core processor. Some Android devices already run on these faster processors.
• The standard 30-pin connector on the base of the device will probably be changed to a smaller 19-pin size, rendering many iPhone accessories obsolete.
• It will potentially carry an improved 12-megapixel camera.
• There is a fair chance it will include AirPlay Direct. This would be a new version of Apple’s AirPlay system, and would allow iPhone users to send music direct to speakers, even if they are not connected to Wi-Fi.
• The iPhone 5 probably will not carry near field communication, a form of technology which allows smartphones to communicate with each other by touching them together and opens up the possibility of paying for things with your phone.
• The device will probably not be launched at the same time as an ‘iPad Mini’. A smaller version of Apple’s popular tablet is in the pipeline, but it is understood that the firm doesn’t want to detract from the fanfare by bundling the launches together.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South