Clarkson ‘feared he had cancer’ during BBC fracas

Jeremy Clarkson said he is now focused on the future. Picture: Philip Toscano/PA Wire
Jeremy Clarkson said he is now focused on the future. Picture: Philip Toscano/PA Wire
Share this article
0
Have your say

FORMER Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson thought he “probably” had cancer before the fracas with a BBC producer that eventually led to his dismissal.

The outspoken star also revealed he was already thinking about his next television project after becoming “obsessed” with the long-running BBC motoring series he fronted before being axed for attacking a colleague.

I just know I’m going to do another car show

Jeremy Clarkson

Writing in his Sunday newspaper column yesterday, Clarkson said was told by a doctor he “probably” had cancer at the time he the hit Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon, although he has since been given the all-clear over a lump on his tongue.

He said he had become so focused on his work following the break-up of his marriage and the death of his mother that he was unable to concentrate on anything else.

Writing about Top Gear in his column in a Sunday newspaper, he said: “I have lost my baby but I shall create another. I don’t know who the other parent will be or what the baby will look like, but I cannot sit around any more organising my photograph album.”

The star was suspended by the broadcaster last month when he became the subject of an internal BBC investigation after he attacked Mr Tymon, splitting his lip and verbally abusing him.

Clarkson’s contract was not renewed, with BBC director-general Tony Hall saying at the time “a line has been crossed” and that “there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another”.

But the broadcasting veteran received widespread public support, including from Prime Minister David Cameron, who is a friend.

Clarkson said he considered turning his back on presenting altogether in the immediate fall-out from the incident.

But he added: “Let’s stop being silly and pick up the pieces and start again … I just know I’m going to do another car show.”

Earlier this month, North Yorkshire Police said that, after an investigation, Clarkson would face no further police action over his attack on the producer at a hotel.

Clarkson pulled out of a planned appearance hosting BBC satirical show Have I Got News For You, which was due to be filmed on Thursday, and aired a day later. It would have marked his first BBC appearance since the fracas that led to his departure.

Clarkson was suspended by the BBC on 10 March, following the altercation with Mr Tymon.

The decision caused an outpouring of support from Top Gear fans across the world, with more than a million people signing an online petition asking for him to be to reinstated to the long-running motoring show.