Past winner Hilary Mantel and three former shortlisted authors are among the 12 writers named on the Man Booker Prize longlist yesterday.
It also includes four debut novels, with a 51-year age gap between the oldest novelist to – Michael Frayn, 78 – and the youngest, Ned Beauman.
Mantel, who won the fiction prize in 2009 with Wolf Hall, is listed for Bring Up The Bodies.
Leading writers who make the dozen and who have previously featured on the shortlist are Michael Frayn, Nicola Barker and Brink.
The judging panel – chaired by Sir Peter Stothard, editor of the Times Literary Supplement – considered 145 titles. They will whittle the books down to a shortlist of six on 11 September..
MAN BOOKER PRIZE LONGLIST
• Nicola Barker - The Yips
• Ned Beauman - The Teleportation Accident
• Andre Brink - Philida
• Tan Twan Eng - The Garden Of Evening Mists
• Michael Frayn - Skios
• Rachel Joyce - The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
• Deborah Levy - Swimming Home
• Hilary Mantel - Bring Up The Bodies
• Alison Moore - The Lighthouse
• Will Self - Umbrella
• Jeet Thayil - Narcopolis
• Sam Thompson - Communion Town
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South