Retro railway posters uncovered at Wemyss Bay station

The posters were uncovered at the Grade A-listed Wemyss Bay station on the Firth of Clyde. Pictures: John Devlin/TSPL
The posters were uncovered at the Grade A-listed Wemyss Bay station on the Firth of Clyde. Pictures: John Devlin/TSPL
Share this article
1
Have your say

THEY are the kind of low fares that hard-pressed commuters can only dream about.

A collection of British Railways posters recently uncovered in a Renfrewshire station offer a visual reminder of the costs of travelling on the old nationalised network more than 30 years ago.

The posters, which date back to the 1970s and early 1980s, offer a glimpse at railway life in the BR era

The posters, which date back to the 1970s and early 1980s, offer a glimpse at railway life in the BR era

The retro adverts were spotted in Wemyss Bay station this week, and have prompted more than a few price comparisons with today’s fares among travellers.

One poster boldly proclaims that a single journey to Glasgow Central - 26 miles to the east - costs just 56p. An anytime day single between the two stations today costs £7.20.

Passengers can at least still marvel at the grand interior of Wemyss Bay station, which was designed in 1903 by the noted Scottish architect James Miller.

Its impressive steel and glass curved roof was intended to reflect the station’s importance as a terminus for passengers connecting to ferry services along the Clyde to Rothesay, Largs and Millport.

The station and adjacent ferry terminal are currently being renovated

The station and adjacent ferry terminal are currently being renovated

The Grade A-listed building still welcomes thousands of tourists each year.

Major renovation works on the station and the adjacent Wemyss Bay harbour began last year and are due to be completed in time for the summer season.

READ MORE: Looking back at the changing face of Glasgow Central station

The present station building was designed in 1903 and is recognised as one of the finest in the Scottish network

The present station building was designed in 1903 and is recognised as one of the finest in the Scottish network