PRINCE’S International Circus and Carnival came arrived in Edinburgh in late 1951.
Lasting from December 15 to January 26, 1952 some of the circus arrived by train - as shown in this picture with two elephants cavorting in Market Street, behind the station.
Not much information is available about either the circus or the photograph, but it was taken on December 12, around three days before the run of performances started.
The circus would hold performances in The Waverley Market between December and January, as part of the city’s Christmas festivities.
The Balmoral Hotel can be seen in the background, with a small group of intrigued passers-by.
Among those watching on are two boys in school uniform, while the three men surrounding the elephants are likely workers and performers with the circus.