APPLE is investigating the death of a Chinese woman who died after receiving an electric shock from her iPhone.
Ma Ailun, an air stewardess from the country’s Xinjiang region, died last week after taking a call on the device as it was being recharged, according to the Chinese news agency Xinhua. She was 23.
A message from Ma’s sister alerting Chinese iPhone users on social media to the incident was widely reposted, prompting the story to be picked up by the country’s state-run media.
Apple said in a statement to the Reuters agency: “We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family.
“We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.”