Push chair fire was ‘deliberate’
A FIRE which meant a terrified three-year-old girl had to be plucked to safety from a top-floor window was sparked by thugs who set light to a push chair in the stairwell.
Firefighters used a turntable ladder to rescue the youngster from 40 feet above the street after smoke filled the building near the Meadows.
The girl’s parents had to be rescued from the four-storey building and all three were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Fire crews were called to Argyle Place shortly after 9pm on Monday.
A spokeswoman said: “The fire originated in a push chair that was left in the entrance to the communal steps and was giving off thick black smoke. It is believed to have been started deliberately.
“A child aged three had to be rescued by ladder. The parents were also led to safety. The family has been taken to hospital to receive treatment.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Tuesday 18 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 21 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: South
Temperature: 10 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West