Five Things To Do In Edinburgh: Wednesday 5 December
Your pick of the city’s nights out.
• MUSIC: Curtis Stigers. Stigers headlined a series of intimate gigs during the Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival earlier this year and you couldn’t buy tickets for love nor money.
So successful was the residency, and so impressed was Billy Lowe, owner of The Dirty Martini Cocktail Bar in Le Monde, that he determined to bring the singer back to the Capital.
“I love Edinburgh. It’s one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cities in the world, and the audiences are full of enthusiasm, intelligence, and good humour,” says Stigers. The 47-year-old American jazz vocalist, saxophonist, guitarist, and songwriter, is best known for his early 1990s hits, most notably I Wonder Why, which reached No. 5 in the UK charts.
Billed as Up Close and Personal evenings, his new residency at the Dirty Martini, is the first of what Lowe hopes will become a regular series of events featuring some of the top jazz musicians in the world. With a 9pm start, doors open at 7.30pm for those who fancy making a night of it by treating themselves to dinner first. Curtis Stigers Up Close and Personal, Dirty Martini/Le Monde, George Street, 9pm, £30, 0131-270 3900.
• MUSICAL: Soul Sister. This brand new musical is inspired by the life and times of Ike and Tina Turner and features all the classic Tina Turner hits, including: ‘What’s Love Got to Do with It’, ‘Proud Mary’, ‘Private Dancer’, ‘River Deep Mountain High’ and of course ‘Simply The Best’, as well as many more. Festival Theatre, Nicolson Street, 7.30pm, £13.50–£38, 0131-529 6000.
• DANCE: Dirty Dancing. musical based on the late Patrick Swayze’s popular film. The Edinburgh Playhouse, Greenside Place, 7.30pm, £28.50–£79.75, 0844 871 3014.
• PANTO: Mother Goose. Mother Goose returns to the King’s Theatre and it’s one golden egg of a show. Staged by the same team behind the theatre’s recent record-breaking pantomimes, Mother Goose is well worth a gander! The King’s, Leven Street, various times and prices, 0131-529 6000.
• CLASSICAL: Scottish Ensemble Variations. Greyfriars Kirk, Greyfriars Place, 7.30pm, £15 (students £5; children free).
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 7 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 8 mph
Wind direction: North