Cops warn about BBQ fire hazard
POLICE have issued a warning to residents to take care using barbecues during the summer months following a recent incident which nearly sparked a “widespread fire”.
The warning came after residents left a disposable barbecue on a rooftop in Marchmont which they believed had cooled down, but instead it melted into the roof space of a top-floor flat.
Officers said the incident had the “potential to cause a widespread fire”.
A police spokesman said: “Never leave a barbecue unattended, extinguish the barbecue with sand or water and ensure it is cold before disposing of it. If barbecuing in the Meadows use the allocated barbecuing areas.”
Last summer, the Meadows was left with charred patches from the use of barbecues placed directly on the grass, although a limited number of paving stones specifically for cooking had been placed.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 7 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 8 mph
Wind direction: North