The Rumour Mill: Tuesday’s football news and gossip
Three more Rangers players to leave Ibrox, criminial proceedings launched as police probe Craig Whyte takeover, Kilmarnock fear losing £1m over Rangers SPL exit and Hearts set to appoint new manager.
• A criminal investigation into Craig Whyte’s takeover of Rangers last year has been launched by the police, relating to ‘alleged criminality’ during the purchase and subsequent financial management of the club.
• Rangers will not play in the SPL next season for the first time in their history as three more clubs came out against inviting Charles Green’s newco back into Scotland’s top flight. Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Inverness confirmed their intention to refuse the newco back into the league, joining Hibernian, Hearts and Dundee United in supporting a motion to deny the Ibrox club’s application. The vote to decide on Rangers’ fate is due to take place on July 4.
• Kyle Lafferty will become the third player to refuse a transfer to Charles Green’s newco, reports the Daily Record. The Northern Ireland international will formalise his intention to leave this week. It is also understood that Sone Aluko and Rhys McCabe will refuse to transfer to the newco.
• Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels fears that Rangers’ exit from the SPL will cost his club £1 million. Shiels said: “We’ll suffer the most for Rangers not being in the league. We will only have one guaranteed Old Firm gate next season as we were down to play Rangers twice at home. That is £1 million we have to save.”
• Falkirk manager Steven Pressley sees Rangers’ turmoil as an opportunity for a fresh start for Scottish football as he called for a radical restructuring of the leagues to end ‘cartel-type agreements’. Pressley proposed a “16 or 18-team top league with play-offs for Europe, play-offs for relegation and promotion and a chance to develop young players properly.” (Daily Express)
John McGlynn set to be appointed as Hearts manager
John McGlynn looks set to replace Paulo Sergio as Hearts manager after another round of talks between the Tynecastle club and Raith Rovers. The 50-year-old was formally offered the job yesterday, and is expected to put pen to paper this week.
James McFadden to return to Motherwell
Former Everton striker James McFadden is to rejoin former club Motherwell. McFadden, who is without a club after being released by Everton last summer, will join Stuart mcCall’s side for pre-season training later this week. (The Sun)
Jonny Hayes signs for Aberdeen
Aberdeen have won the race to sign winger Jonny Hayes from Inverness Caledonian Thistle after beating Hearts to the Irishman’s signature. Aberdeen had prematurely announced the players’ signature earlier this month; Hayes had denied that he was signing for them at the time, taking to Twitter to reveal he hadn’t yet decided on his future. (The Sun)
St Mirren cup winner Jackie Neilson dies
Former St Mirren player Jackie Neilson has died, aged 83. Neilson was part of the St Mirren team that won a Scottish Cup in 1959, where they ran out 3-1 winners against Aberdeen.
• Alloa manager Paul Hartley has signed former Motherwell striker Martin Grehan.
• Former Hearts striker Craig Beattie is considering a move to Dutch outfit Den Haag. (The Sun)
• Kilmarnock have offered a new contract to former Falkirk striker Farid El Alagui. The Rugby park outfit are among several clubs to express interest in the striker, who scored 27 goals last season. (Daily Express)
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 2 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 5 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West