FOUNDRY and engineering group Chamberlin managed to achieve a double-digit rise in profits in the first half of the year despite tough conditions in its markets.
Underlying profit before tax rose by 15 per cent to £914,000 and although chairman Keith Butler-Wheelhouse said there were a number of “uncertainties to the general economic outlook in 2013”, the board believes Chamberlin will “respond well to the challenges and opportunities ahead”.
Butler-Wheelhouse has signalled his own confidence in the company’s prospects by buying shares twice in recent weeks.
He purchased a total of 44,500 shares at around 168p each.
• Gordon Watt, a director at electronics group Pipehawk, has bought 825,000 shares at 1.5p each. The move took his stake up to 5.7 million shares.
• Non-executive director Matt Cooper, who sits on the board at Lo-Q, which develops virtual queuing systems for theme parks, water parks and major attractions, has bought 17,442 shares at 344p each. It was his first purchase of shares.
The company also said that Henrieheta Sim, wife of director Leonard Sim, had sold 100,000 shares at the same price.
The couple now holds a total of 2.39 million shares in the company.
Last week Lo-Q bought US ticketing group Accesso in a £13.7 million deal.
• Ann Simon, a non-executive director at digital imaging technology group SDI, has bought her first stake with the purchase of 8,348 shares at 14.75p each.
• Dr Colin Knight, chairman of London Mining, has bought 35,000 shares at 113.5p each. He now holds 502,000 shares in the company.
• Robert Rayne, a non-executive director of investment group LMS Capital, has sold 1.44 million shares in the company at 84p.
• Cairn Energy founder Sir Bill Gammell has seen his family’s stake in the Edinburgh oil and gas explorer more than halve after selling more than £1.7m worth of shares. The former Scottish rugby international’s wife, Janice, sold 551,909 shares at 263p each, while two trusts in which Gammell has a beneficial interest also sold a total of 98,764 shares at the same price.
The disposals take his stake down to 596,331 shares.