Dell chief to focus on PCs after battle

Share this article
0
Have your say

Michael Dell has ruled out a move into mobile phone manufacturing after winning a 
$24.8 billion (£15.6bn) battle to take control of the eponymous computer maker he founded in 1984.

In an interview with US broadcaster CNBC, Dell said he would concentrate the group’s efforts on emerging markets, as well as PCs and tablet computers, and will be taking a longer-term approach to the business.

He said: “It’s really about changing our focus from a quarterly focus to a longer-term five-year, ten-year, focus.”

Activist investor Carl Icahn ended his bitter takeover fight for the group on Tuesday, just days before shareholders were due to consider the buyout offer from the company’s founder.

Once the world’s largest computer maker, Dell and its rivals have struggled as more consumers switch to mobile devices. Last month it posted its seventh consecutive fall in quarterly profits.